Oops! We're sorry, but the Webinar has sold out.
We limit the number of partcipants to provide the best possible experience for our attendees. We certainly hope you'll consider joining us for a future Webinar.
To stay informed about upcoming Nelson Literary Agency events such as Webinars, sign up for our e-newsletter or check back on the Webinars page of the Nelson Literary Agency Website.
Query Letter Intensive – Demystifying the Query Process
Held 05/12/16 at 6:00 - 8:30 PM MT
Thank you for your interest! We are sorry, but this Webinar has sold out.
This Webinar intensive brought to you by NLA Digital.
Class Limit: 15
Requirement: Attendees must use a phone for audio to call in and actively participate.
Please note: This Webinar is primarily a workshop and does not constitute a query letter submission for NLA to request sample pages. Also, only fiction submissions are eligible for this Webinar (no memoirs or non-fiction works, please).
Most writers will tell you that writing a good query letter is more difficult than writing the whole manuscript. How do you distill the essence of a novel into one pithy pitch paragraph? Come find out! This webinar will be team taught by Agent Kristin and Angie Hodapp, one of Kristin’s first-round query readers. Angie’s perspective on reading 50-100 queries per day coupled with Kristin’s perspective on what goes into deciding which manuscripts to request will give you double the insight into the query process.
In part one, Kristin and Angie will walk you through how to write a standout query letter while avoiding common pitfalls. In part two, they’ll do a live reading of the “slush pile”—query letters submitted by Webinar participants. Nothing speaks louder or more directly to your query letter’s effectiveness than the on-the-spot feedback of an agent plus immediate suggestions for revision, so don’t miss this opportunity.
What You’ll Learn:
- How to compose a basic, four-part query letter.
- How to distill your novel into a clear, concise pitch paragraph that will inspire agents to request sample pages.
- How to position yourself in the current market in terms of word count, genre, and comparable titles or authors.
- The truth about why so few query letters lead to requests for sample pages.
- How to revise your pitch.
- Angie and Kristin will be on video as well as audio.
- Attendees are welcome to ask questions throughout the Webinar.
- Attendees will have access to the video recording of the Webinar for six months.
Who should attend?
- Have completed a novel and are ready to begin their search for an agent. (Please note that this Webinar is not for writers of memoirs or works of non-fiction.)
- Have already been querying but haven’t received requests for sample pages.
- Will be attending a conference soon where they will be pitching to an agent.
If for some reason you cannot attend the presentation, your registration fee will allow you access to the recorded Webinar video for six months.
Cancellations must be received seven (7) days prior to the Webinar for a full refund.
Each participant is required to submit the first draft of a full query letter for his/her novel. Once registered, attendees will receive an email explaining how to format and submit that letter.