STATUS: Squeezing this blog in before the day gets too crazy. It will be a miracle if I’m back to my hotel room before midnight tonight.
What’s playing on the iPod right now? WINDMILLS OF THE MIND by Sting
Tip of the Day: In the course of your publishing career, know that one or all of these things might happen to you at some time.
1. A Bad cover
2. A low advance
3. A book that doesn’t quite reach its projected sales potential
4. Writer’s block while on a deadline
5. Another author being jealous or spiteful of or to you
6. An editor leaving
7. A contract cancelled
And when the bad happens, let it roll off you because in the course of your publishing career, know that one or all of these things might happen to you one day.
1. A gorgeous cover
2. Hitting a bestseller list
3. Having your whole backlist bought for a reprint
4. An advance from your dreams
5. A book that does reach the projects sales potential and then goes beyond
6. Being a lead title
7. Another author supports and helps you with a blurb or cross-promotion etc.
That ultimately it’s the journey that you must savor not just the end result of what you might define as “success.”
Now here are a few shots of several authors who are at the start of this journey.