NLA in the News
- SOLD!! Writer and poet Kate Baer's WHAT KIND OF WOMAN?, a debut poetry collection dealing with themes of womanhood, motherhood, and marriage, highlighting the monotony, humor, and depth that comes along with both becoming and becoming undone by these experiences, to Mary Gaule at Harper Perennial, in a very nice deal, in a pre-empt, by Joanna MacKenzie.
- SOLD!! Award-winning author Stacey Lee's THE DOWNSTAIRS GIRL, about a Chinese teen in 1890s Atlanta who moonlights as Dear Miss Sweetie, a wildly popular newspaper advice columnist that has all of high society in an uproar, to Ellie Russell at Piatkus, for publication in Fall 2019, by Jenny Meyer on behalf of Kristin Nelson.
- SOLD!! New York Times bestselling author Richard Chizmar’s novel GWENDY’S MAGIC FEATHER, the authorized sequel to Stephen King and Richard Chizmar’s NYT bestselling novella Gwendy’s Button Box, including a new foreword by Stephen King, to Ed Schlesinger at Gallery, in an exclusive submission, by Kristin Nelson.
- SOLD!! NYT bestselling author of Bird Box Josh Malerman's MALORIE, the sequel to the Netflix hit, and MUSICAL CHAIRS, about a woman who was kidnapped for 3 days as a young girl - and on her wedding day discovers that one of her guests, someone she trusts, is the disturbed kidnapper, to Tricia Narwani at Del Rey, in a major deal, in an exclusive submission, for publication in fall 2019, by Kristin Nelson. UK Rights also sold to Emad Akhtar at Orion.
- SOLD!! via Deadline Hollywood: Ridley Scott’s Scott Free Production, Atlas Industries are teaming on a film adaptation of Bird Box author Josh Malerman’s novel BLACK MAD WHEEL. Barnett Brettler to write the screenplay. Sean O’Grady & Bill Stertz are producing the project for Atlas along with Ryan Lewis and Malerman for their newly formed production Spin a Black Yarn shingle. Malerman is repped by Kristin Nelson.
- SOLD!! Celesta Rimington's debut THE TWISTER, THE ELEPHANT & ME, about a girl who can talk to the wind, the elephant who saved her life during a category-five tornado, and the epic treasure hunt that leads her to find something even more valuable and lasting, to Emily Easton at Crown Children's, in a good deal, at auction, in a two-book deal, for publication in summer 2020, by Danielle Burby at Nelson Literary Agency.
- SOLD!! Men's Health deputy digital editor Jordyn Taylor's debut novel THE PAPER GIRL OF PARIS, a historical novel told in alternating perspectives between a girl in the present day who inherits a secret apartment in Paris that has been locked since the end of World War II, and a girl living in Nazi occupied Paris who joins the French Resistance, to Catherine Wallace at Harper Teen, for publication in summer 2020, by Danielle Burby at Nelson Literary Agency.
- SOLD!! TV rights to Stacey Lee's UNDER A PAINTED SKY, pitched as a young adult western Thelma & Louise, in which a Chinese girl and a house slave disguise themselves as cowboys to run from the law, seek revenge for a murder, and find freedom in the California Gold Rush frontier, to Fremantle, by Kristin Nelson, Alice Lawson at The Gersh Agency, and attorney Wayne Alexander.
- SOLD!! Print & ebook rights to NYT bestseller Hugh Howey’s indie-published novel HALF WAY HOME, when an abort order to terminate a colony ship fails, the remaining colonists don't know if their new home or their fellow survivors are the greater threat, for print and ebook publication in Fall 2019, to John Joseph Adams at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, by Kristin Nelson.
- SOLD!! Journalist and cofounder of podcast production company Gen-Z Kids Jonathan Messinger's THE ALIEN ADVENTURES OF FINN CASPIAN, about a group of four eight-year-old space adventurers and their robot sidekicks, dealing with themes of friendship, teamwork, family, and science, to Maria Barbo at Harper Children's, by Joanna MacKenzie.
- SOLD!! NYT bestselling author and current publisher of Cemetery Dance, Richard Chizmar's graphic novel SEASONS OF TERROR, featuring the adaptations of four classic stories by legendary authors Stephen King, Ray Bradbury, Shirley Jackson, and Robert McCammon, to Ed Schlesinger at Gallery 13, by Kristin Nelson.
- Congrats Marie Lu! With the release of REBEL, the Legend Series lands back on the New York Times bestseller List at #6. Such a hard list to crack. So well deserved for the stunning conclusion of your debut series.
- Jillian Boehme's debut novel, STORMRISE, publishes today, September 24th! A huge congratulations to Jill for hitting this incredible and well-deserved milestone!!!
- Rosaria Munda is going on tour! She will join Tochi Onyebuchi and Natalie C. Parker on the road for Penguin Teen Game Night, an evening filled with prizes, swag, books, trivia, and games. Tickets are available here.
- Congratulations to Ausma Zehanat Khan on receiving a starred review from Booklist for THE BLUE EYE, the third book in her Khorasan Archives series. They called her "a master of the genre" and they couldn't have been more correct!
- A huge congratulations to Rosaria Munda for receiving FOUR starred reviews for her debut novel, FIREBORNE. Fireborne has received stars from Kirkus, SLJ, PW, and Booklist. Such well-deserved praise!
- Congratulations to John Galligan on a starred Kirkus review that called BAD AXE COUNTY "a darkly irresistible thriller."
- Huge congrats to Stacey Lee!! Her August 2019 release THE DOWNSTAIRS GIRL has earned the coveted star review from all 5 of the major review outlets: Publishers Weekly, Kirkus, School Library Journal, Booklist, and Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books. This is a rare, amazing achievement that usually only happens once in an author's career.
- SLAY by Brittney Morris listed as Our Most Anticipated Debut YAs of 2019: July to December by B&N Teen
- A SONG OF WRAITHS AND RUIN by Roseanne A. Brown was Listed in Publishers Weekly Spring 2020 Children’s Sneak Previews!
- Excitement for Josh Malerman as MALORIE, the sequel to Bird Box, is a Publishers Lunch featured 2019 Fall/Winter Buzz Book.
- Publishers Weekly lists Rosaria Munda’s FIREBORNE as a 2019 galley to grab at Book Expo.
- Publishers Weekly lists Brittney Morris's SLAY as a 2019 galley to grab at Book Expo.
- It's Live! Check out SLAYthebook.com and explore the SLAY cards.
- So much joy for Evan Ramzipoor as her debut novel THE VENTRILOQUISTS is a Publishers Lunch featured 2019 Spring Summer Buzz Book.
- Check out the
#SLAY trailer and an exclusive excerpt here on @Bustle!
- Check out the exclusive cover reveal and excerpt of SLAY by Brittney Morris on Entertainment Weekly online! Pre-Order your copy now!
- WOOT! Seventeen Magazine names Ally Carter's nonfiction debut DEAR ALLY: HOW DO YOU WRITE A BOOK as a Top 24 YA book of 2019 (so far).
- Not one but two spots on the 2018 Bram Stoker Award Final Ballot for Superior Achievement in a Novel! Congrats to Dacre Stoker & JD Barker for DRACUL and to Josh Malerman for UNBURY CAROL. So honored to rep these two amazing novels.
- Doing a happy dance for Marie Lu! WILDCARD is a 2019 Teen Choice Book Award Finalist.
- Throwing confetti for Stacey Lee! Her latest literary novel THE DOWNSTAIRS GIRL is a Publishers Marketplace 2019 Spring/Summer YA Buzz Book!
- In a terrific interview, Rolling Stone features Josh Malerman in "Bird Box: The Indie-Rock Lifer behind the Netflix hit."
- The UK deal for Brittney Morris's debut novel, SLAY, is featured in Bookseller. The UK edition will be out this fall!
- BNBuzz Says Valerie Valdes's Chilling Effect Is One of 25 Science Fiction and Fantasy Debuts That Will Transform 2019.
- AMightygirl.com names Miranda Asebedo's THE DEEPEST ROOTS a 2018 Best Book of the Year!
- Huge congrats to Josh Malerman as BIRD BOX moves up to #4 on the New York Times Bestseller list!
- Colleen Oakley calls Lisa Duffy's forthcoming THIS IS HOME “A beautifully drawn portrait of a motherless girl and a rudderless woman both trying to find their place in the world— but find each other instead. Lisa Duffy nails the complexities of modern relationships, and proves that she’s a storyteller that’s here to stay.”
- We're cheering because Ausma Zehanat Khan's A DANGEROUS CROSSING was named one of the best mysteries of 2018 by Bookriot!
- Huge congratulations to Florence Gonsalves for making the Booklist Best of 2018 list for her debut novel, LOVE AND OTHER CARNIVOROUS PLANTS.
- Congratulations to Ausma Zehanat Khan for a starred PW review of A DANGEROUS CROSSING, her new Khattak/Getty mystery!
- NPR names Sherry Thomas's THE HOLLOW OF FEAR a 2018 Great Reads Best Book of the year in mysteries and thrillers!
- Five years after publication, Josh Malerman's BIRD BOX lands for the first time at #7 on the New York Times Bestseller List. Throwing confetti!
- Netflix announces that 45,037,125 accounts watched the Sandra Bullock movie of Josh Malerman's BIRD BOX — best first 7 days ever for a Netflix film!