STATUS: Actually, I was reading partial submissions that we had requested before I realized that I hadn’t blogged yet today.
What’s playing on the iPod right now? COLORADO CHRISTMAS by Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Right now I’m working crazy hours to madly finish everything that needs to be handled before we close for the holidays. We are done Friday by 5 pm and the agency does not reopen until Monday, Jan. 5th.
If I were an aspiring writer looking to send out a query, I’d wait until after the holidays.
So what have I been doing with my time? Here’s a list.
1. Yesterday I closed a major deal that has been in process for several weeks.
2. I had a phone conference to finish up contract issues so we could get final contracts for signing before the holidays
3. I had to re-review a film contract because although we had already concluded it and were simply awaiting final copies to sign, the producers had hired a new law firm that had retooled the contract. We had to re-review and renegotiate the thing ALL over again. Thrilled I’m sure. Not.
4. Year-end review of the accounting with my bookkeeper and tax accountant. After all, 1099s are just around the corner.
5. Followed up with all editors who have submissions.
6. Had several phone conferences because Macmillan had a big lay-off earlier this week and the restructuring left one of my authors editor-less. That had to be dealt with.
7. Cover copy issue.
8. I was out of town last week so I had to wade through the 183 emails that needed attention. By the way, this wasn’t the urgent stuff as I handled those things while being out of the office.
9. Review UK contract for one of my authors. I’ve just started so this will need to finish up tomorrow in terms of writing up my requested changes letter.
10. Consulted with our tech person on why the new fancy dancy printer/scanner we bought (that cost way more than I’m willing to admit) isn’t working and the tech person can’t get it to work with our system despite spending four days on the phone with HP tech support.
It’s going to be another 12-hour day tomorrow. Let’s hope I stay sane….